Saturday, April 11, 2009

Back...from the dead!



Dear Reader,



I live! Well, just barely, anyway. I'm still in the process of convalescing from the dismal state of boredom that has been my lot for the past week. Still recuperating from my aimless and frustrated drifting; wandering from one dreary room to yet another equally dreary room, in search of something to see, something to do, someone to talk to.


"What could have caused such extreme ennui and vacillation?" you ask.


My answer, dear reader, is simple. The internet couldn't work.


I would appreciate it, my dearest reader, if you would kindly suppress your gasps of shock long enough for me to complete this post. I know the concept of being cut off from any and all communication via the World Wide Web sounds appalling, dreadful, and even downright outrageous to you, but I have a lot to get off my chest, as you can easily imagine, what with my week-long hermitage and all.


For starters, I want to tell you about my Future. Yes, my Future. My Future as a Student. My Future as a Student, in which I shall be Studying. Alright, alright...you get the picture. Anyway, I have finally settled on a course of action, a guideline, a plan for my academic Future. The plan is as follows:


In May, I shall apply for a JPA Scholarship which shall (hopefully) enable me to pursue a Foundation in Design. Yes, Design. The 'units of study' consist of such auspicious-sounding subjects like 'Design Studies', 'Graphic Design', 'Drawing and Illustration', and 'Context and Culture'. Stuff like that.


And then, if I had my way, just after finishing my Foundation, I would pursue a Bachelor in Languages and Linguistics at another university. Of course, there then arises the question of whether a different uni would accept a credit transfer from my Foundation in Design. If they do not, I have a back-up plan. Upon the possibility of failing to enter the aforementioned uni, I shall continue in the field of design and get a degree, then go back and get a masters in linguistics.


The only problem with this, of course, is the time it would take to complete everything. I’m not worried about money; I let my parents worry about that. It’s always worked before. But, then again, that’s why I’m waiting for May to come rolling around and the JPA application-thingy to open up.


Enough about furthering my studies. It’s high time we got to discussing something else, something actually enjoyable. Like how I spent my abundant free time during the Internet Access Drought of last week. Well, believe it or not, I actually tried my hand at a bit of gardening. Yes, gardening. Why do you persist in making me repeat myself, my oh-so-sceptical reader? It’s not that much of a stretch for the imagination, is it—to picture me squatting over a somewhat neglected-looking garden, yanking with all my might at a particularly stubborn weed? Okay, maybe it is. But I assure you, it did in fact happen. I have witnesses. Just ask my 6.5 dogs.


Anyway, I don’t profess to be some sort of green-thumbed plant-miracle-worker or anything. In fact, I had a hard time discerning which plants were the weeds and which ones were actually supposed to be there. I fear I may have done more harm than good to that garden. And the dogs weren’t much help either. They kept digging in all the wrong places, pulling up all the wrong things, sniffing at everything I touched, and bumping and jostling against me in their excitement and curiosity to see what on earth I was doing there.



I also reread one of my favourite books, 'The Return of the Fairy' by Gail Carson Levine. Well, technically speaking, it was a compilation of six of her books, all of which have only one thing in common: they all take place in a village called Snettering-on-Snoakes, in the Kingdom of Biddle. But that's about it. Gail Carson Levine wrote 'Ella Enchanted', so you know what to expect from a compilation of fairytales written by the likes of her: that is, a hilarious and unexpected take on classic and not-so-classic fairytales.


Well, I suppose I've dragged this post on long enough. I shall try to contain my overflowing joy and jubilation at the return of my connectivity, and say adieu, dear reader. Until we meet [?] again.





Yours,


Figgy the Jubilant





No comments:

Post a Comment