Saturday, March 21, 2009

♪ Thank you for the music... ♫

Dear Reader,





It's high time for another musical post. This time, I would like to share a song called 'Bagaikan Puteri' by Farra. It means 'Like a Princess'. The meaning behind the lyrics is a bit sad, but the tune is really catchy. I mean, super catchy. Like stuck-in-your-head-for-a-week catchy. Anyway, here are the lyrics and the translation.





Farra
'Bagaikan Puteri'
[Chorus]
Tapi sayang, hanyalah impian
Bulan tak bisa tumbuh di taman
Dan bila mentari datang
Pulanglah segala kenyataan

Jika dunia aku yang punya
Akanku dirikan
Sebuah syurga
Malam tanpa siang
Untukku bermimpi

[*]
Sepanjang masa, tanpa kecewa
Bertemankan bintang yang setia
Bagaikan puteri kisah khayalan
Yang hidupnya suci dan sempurna

[Chorus]

Jika dunia aku yang punya
Akanku hiaskan
Sepasang sayap
Putih dan berseri
Untukku kemudi

[*]

[Chorus] x2

English translation:Farra
'Like a Princess'
[Chorus]
But too bad, it's only a dream
The moon can't grow in a garden
And when the sun comes
The reality returns

If the world belonged to me
I would build
A paradise
A night without day
For me to dream

[*]
All the time
Without disappointment
Accompanied by the loyal stars
Like a fairy-tale princess
With a pure and perfect life

[Chorus]

If the world belonged to me
I would adorn
A pair of wings
White and shining
For me to navigate

[*]

[Chorus] x2







See what I mean? A bit pessimistic, really...but at least it's realistic; it is a widely accepted belief that the moon does not grow in gardens. Anyway, that's all for today. Hope you enjoyed this somewhat brief post. It must be a refreshing change for you, my dear reader. Until we meet again, ciao!





Yours,



Figgy the Music Lover

7 comments:

  1. Hey Figgy!

    how's it going?

    Thanks for the translation!

    I like figs.

    Peterdoyle99

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Figgy!

    Please know that in the middle of the night you brought me a small measure of happiness.

    And, that is really something in this world of ours. Not at all to be dismissed lightly.

    So, I write to say "thank you."

    More specifically, I heard a small fragment of Farra's song embedded in one by Alizée (J'en ai marre) on YouTube.com. My curiosity to know more about it brought me here. Serendipity--one of my Top Ten favorite words.

    You sound completely charming in your digital guise. Perhaps we shall meet again, somewhere, sometime.

    Until then, if ever, be forever Figgy. I'll never forget you.

    Gregory

    ropermobile(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why thank you, kind sir. That was perhaps the nicest comment I've ever read. And I'm glad you enjoyed my little musings and ramblings.

    P/S: Serendipity is probably my 11th favourite word. That explains it not making the list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Figster,

    As I read more and more of your "little musings and ramblings" I assure you my happiness grows and now is no longer quantifiable in solely small measures.

    So, again, it's my turn to say to you "Thank YOU for the music" of your words from across the planet. What a delightful melody they sing !

    I marveled at your telling of the origins of your blog and its name--your name, Bethany.

    In the days to come, I look forward to more adventures in language with you. Though we are but strangers, I like how I feel when I am "with you."

    To me, there's a sense of "simpatico"--a feeling of being on the same wavelength. Now there's perhaps a word that merits a spot on my list.

    For now let me say it's all very "fetching."

    Gregory

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting song. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    Out of curiosity, I decided to search and try to find other music by this same artist, but I am having great difficulty finding songs and/or information about the artist. Who is Farra? I can find many different ones, but none of them seem to be the correct one. If you could guide me to correct understanding of who she is and/or direct me to where I can find/listen to more of her music, I'd appreciate it. I'm just curious whether I'd enjoy other songs performed by her or not.

    Thank you,

    R.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Farra is sort of a one hit wonder here in Malaysia. This song is from her album 'Puteri Tari', which came out sometime in the 90s. That means 'Dance Princess', by the way. I'm not sure if she's made any other albums. So yeah, it's a bit difficult to get her music online. There might be some of her songs up on Youtube, though.

    I managed to find a link that shows the album's track listing, but I think you have to register to download it. Hope that helped :)

    http://jiwang.org/full-album-malaysia/2913-farra-puteri-tari-1996-a.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the info. I couldn't find anything definite on this artist in Wikipedia or anywhere else.

    Keep the blog posts coming though. Your writing seems to be that of a 'kindred spirit' so to speak, and I've enjoyed reading them.

    R.

    ReplyDelete