Thursday, June 30, 2011

Beautifully Unconventional


Dear reader,



Have you ever noticed how singers and celebrities and models nowadays look like they were created and assembled in the same factory? I wonder what happened to society's standards of beauty. Today's ideal of beauty is about having the perfect figure, perfect hair, perfect teeth. It's all about the symmetry these days, it seems. Quirkiness is no longer appreciated. Or rather, only a certain degree of quirkiness is tolerated. Cross that line and you are no longer beautiful, just weird.

Gone are the years of tailored dresses, individuality, and original thought. This is the age of 'standard' clothing sizes (because all women are built in exactly the same proportions, am I right?), the age of conformity. Come on, people. We used to celebrate individuality. Being different was considered awesome and enviable. I mean, look at Mama Cass, or Aretha Franklin. They were unconventional beauties. They had talent, oodles of it, and that made them beautiful.

These days you hardly see any famous people who look like they're actually allowed to have a decent meal. Women like Queen Latifah. When she comes on screen, you just get this sense of calmness radiating off of her. Kate Winslet, also, is absolutely beautiful. She reminds me of those women in Renaissance paintings, with their gracefully provocative poses, and their fearless curviness.

So. The reason for this rant on society's shallow standards of beauty is a certain video on YouTube. Well, not so much the video itself than the comments posted on it. I'm sure you've heard of the singer Adele. And if you haven't, dear reader, then you should check her out immediately. After you read this post, though. Adele is one of the very few modern singers who can actually sing. She sounds better live than she does on her album, which is exactly how it should be. Anyway, all of her videos had some sort of derogatory comment about her weight, some critique on her appearance. All of them. Which is really unfair and, actually, totally irrelevant. Why so shallow, people? She makes music for ears, not for eyes. Anyway, as far as looks go, I think she's beautiful.






See what I mean? She reminds me of Audrey Hepburn. The way she moves, the way she dresses. Her casual, effortless elegance. Also, I like that she seems honest, and she has a sense of humour. People who can't laugh at themselves are so unapproachable and boring.

Oh, and on a completely unrelated note...if Sir Anthony Hopkins had a blog, I'd totally read it. I'd read it like nobody's business. He's an amazing, intelligent, interesting human being. He has Character. He's like a nihilistic, grouchy, zen monk.

So, I guess this is where I say goodbye. Just had something on my chest that I wanted to send out into the void. Til next time, I remain...






Yours,

Figgy

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Figgy,

    How true.

    So good to hear from you again. Long time, no see.

    Adieu.

    Gregory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth,

    I'm late but... I absolutely agree with you.

    I hate how some people on Youtube can't focus on the beautiful music, in fact, sometimes one can just close his/her eyes and listen to the music without having to watch the video.

    And now that you mention it, realisation struck me that most dresses are made for a certain size. Seems pretty hard for some people to get the right dresses these days, so discriminating!

    :)

    Love, Cass

    ReplyDelete