Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Mary, Mary, quite contrary







Dear Reader,










Don't you think humans are the most contrary beings to ever walk the Earth? I know I am, anyway. I know I've told you time and time again about my tendency to dilly-dally and fritter away countless hours in frivolous idleness--countless hours that could have been better spent in pursuing more productive activities. I've told you, dear reader, that I will lollygag when faced with a deadline, even when it's for something I would have enjoyed doing had there been no time limit enforced on its completion. But I don't think I've ever told you about the regret I feel, oftentimes as I'm procrastinating or being scandalously idle.




For example, on the topic of waking up early. I am not a morning person. The latest I have ever gone to bed was--if I remember correctly--around ten or eleven o'clock...in the morning, the next day. And so, due to my erratic sleep patterns, I spend most of the day in a deep, lazy slumber. The Earth makes yet another rotation round its axis, and the Sun makes its daily sojourn across the sky--and all the while, this lethargic blogger is, in a manner of speaking, dead to the world. And when I [finally] arise, it is usually with a profound feeling of regret and loss at what I've missed. And yet I do it again the next day, and the next, and the next, the next, and so on.




Or, rather, I used to do it. I have--recently--repented of my wicked and slothful ways, dear reader. I am happy to announce that I have been going to bed and waking up early this past week. I have kept to my self-imposed curfew of ten thirty; quite faithfully, if I may say so. And I woke up at eight yesterday. Sometimes I even wake up at a quarter past seven! However, I woke up at ten o'clock this morning. I hope this isn't a bad omen.




Not to go off on a tangent or anything, but did you know, my venerable reader, that Katy Perry wrote 'I Do Not Hook Up'? Yes, I am fully aware that it was Kelly Clarkson, and not Katy Perry, who sang 'I Do Not Hook Up', but Ms Perry did in fact write the song. If that isn't contrary and contradictory, then I don't know what is. I mean, who would expect the same girl who said "I kissed a girl, and I liked it" to say "I do not hook up, I go slow"? Although, I suppose that just shows what a versatile songwriter she is.




For the record, I do not like 'I Kissed A Girl'; not only is it disturbing and slightly repulsive, it is just so darn catchy! If you've never had a song that you absolutely abhor stuck in your head for a whole day, dear reader, then you don't know what true pain is. They should implement it in schools as a form of corporal punishment, instead of caning or paddling. Or perhaps not. I can't imagine what kind of damage a song like 'I Kissed A Girl' might inflict on the children's poor, tender psyches.




On the other hand, I really, really like 'I Do Not Hook Up'. Curious, isn't it? That two totally different songs that have two totally different characters with totally different priorities were created by the same individual. I think I like this song because I totally agree with it. I, myself, am not a 'hook up' kind of girl. I 'go slow' and 'fall deep'--or, at least, I suppose I will someday.




And on a totally unrelated note, I have some saddening news, dear reader. I am not--I repeat, am not--going to attend this year's Rainforest World Music Festival. Ah, crushing disappointment and reluctant resignation abound. My Dad said it was too expensive for all of us to go together, and if my sister isn't going, then I'm not allowed to go; safety in numbers and all that. It's a vicious cycle. *cue melodramatic sigh* Oh, well. Perhaps next year.







There you have it. Even the flyer looks exciting! Like it contains some delightful and momentous secret; and the only way to satisfy your insatiable curiosity is to go there and find out for yourself just what that secret is. I sincerely hope it's overrated. Because I couldn't bear to think of what I might be missing out on.




Life goes on. Time waits for no man...or girl. Isn't it funny how I still consider myself a girl, dear reader? I've never noticed that before. Well, it's not that strange, you know. In the Bible, a man was not considered a fully mature adult until he reached 30.




As you can see, I will probably bounce back from this crushing blow inflicted on my plans of attending the RWMF reasonably soon. I suppose I possess a buoyant personality. Or a busy mind, at least. A busy mind is a blessing in times of disappointment and tribulation. And with that, I take my leave. Adieu, dear reader. Til next time, I remain










Yours,








Figgy the Contrary






No comments:

Post a Comment