Tuesday, October 16, 2012

One Trick Pony

Dear reader,



One truth has become more apparent as I grow older. The more I learn about a certain thing, the less I know about it. Typography, life, love, design, people. I feel like I'm actually growing backwards. Like Benjamin Button, only on the inside. I must have the knowledge of an average 10-year-old by now.

Oh well. "Just keep swimming", as a wise fish once said. Actually, as a wise fish's scriptwriter once said. But there were probably a few writers, and of course, the director played a part. And the fish couldn't have said anything if the animators hadn't made her mouth move. So, it's more like: as a fish's director, animators, scriptwriters, and voice actor once said. Sigh.




When one receives a design problem, there are two possible outcomes.

Outcome Number 1: an epiphany from heaven. It basically goes down like this. You receive the brief, read the parameters and are subsequently struck down with sudden inspiration. In a glorious moment of clarity, surrounded by the fluttering of a myriad of angels' wings and cherub-trumpeting, you know exactly what to do. You do it. And all is well with the world.

Unfortunately, Outcome Number 1 is exceedingly rare. You can never plan an epiphany, after all. Which leads us to Outcome Number 2: the creative process. People usually forget that creativity is not simply a talent. It is a muscle. It grows stronger with exercise and continued application. Brainstorming, mind maps, sketching. All techniques used to get your stupid creative muscle to churn out a solution that's actually worth putting on paper. A few days of this, and then you're down to the execution. You do it. You finish. And all is well with the world.

Until the next assignment comes along.

Lately, I find that I'm more comfortable with human-generated design. You know, hand drawn typography, illustrations, drawings, paper cut-outs, etc. The computer has been more of a hindrance than a help these days. Is it a phase? Or have I finally found a niche for myself? Whatever it is, I hope I don't turn into the one trick pony of design.

On an unrelated note, M.I.A. once described herself as the "retarded cousin of rap". At the risk of offending anyone out there in the void, I think that makes me the "retarded cousin of design".




Well. I suppose that's it from me. Goodbye, all.




Yours,

Figgy
the Retarded Cousin of the One Trick Pony of Design



1 comment:

  1. Welcome back after a several month hiatus.

    While I don't consider myself to be much of a designer, I appreciate this thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete