Friday, November 26, 2010

beautiful coincidences



i was his from the moment we first met
say what you say or just sail away
your lipstick stains

let me sail, let me sail
elope with me, miss private, and we’ll sail around the world
you're so good to me baby, baby

i'm through with standing in line
all who are weak, all who are weary
the beat goes on, the beat goes on

wake up, bloodshot eyes
i wanna be the minority
a heart that's full up like a landfill

i've been meaning to tell you
she took away all my money
baptised with a perfect name

let's start at the very beginning
jesus, jesus, jesus
while everybody else is getting out of bed

so if you're lonely
i can tell, i can tell how much you hate this
tell me how i'm supposed to breathe with no air

beautiful girls
remember all the things we wanted?
the night will come










So. What do you think, dear reader? Have I finally gone insane?


Do you know what ready-made art is? It is an "everyday object selected and designated as art; the name was coined by the French artist Marcel Duchamp." The term is also used to describe "art created from the undisguised, but often modified, use of objects that are not normally considered art, often because they already have a non-art function." 


What's that, dear reader? You don't care? Ah, but you should care. You see, the pathetic attempt at poetry you see above is my slightly skewed version of ready-made art. Out of sheer boredom and my inevitable tendencies towards procrastination, I decided to experiment. Here's what I did (look, it's a list!)...






The 'How to Procrastinate Like a Professional' List:

  1. Have an assignment due, the sooner the better. Preferably within a two-day time period. You could try three days, but it wouldn't have the same impact.
  2. Waste time on Internet. 
  3. First attempt at getting some work done.
  4. Waste some more time on Internet.
  5. Give up on trying to get work done.
  6. Go to Music folder.
  7. Select all.
  8. Press play. Shuffle.
  9. Write first line of each song.
  10. Compile into meaningless, beautiful nonsense.
  11. Compose blog post focused entirely on said meaningless, beautiful nonsense.
  12. Proofread til satisfied.



There you go. Figgy's patented procrastination formula. My favourite nonsense-poems are the 'standing in line' one and the last one. And what's with the sailing theme in the first and second stanzas? I didn't skip or rearrange any songs, I swear. I just wrote them down in the same order that they came up. Creepy. But in a good way. It's awesome when seemingly random and unrelated things come together to form something so perfect. Beautiful coincidences. Or ordinary miracles.













So, dear reader. Can you guess the songs these first verses belong to? I bet you can't. Well, some are more obvious than others. I enjoyed this little experiment. Expect more nonsense poetry in the future. Til then, I remain...










Yours,






Figgy.



2 comments:

  1. Hi, Figgy,

    As a fellow procrastinator, I feel it is my challenge to set a good example. Here's my Merry Christmas wishes for you and yours. For 2009 ! And I hope you have a wonderful 2010 !

    In all seriousness, thanks for sharing yourself with me and the world. I enjoy the way I feel when I spend time with you here.

    Gregory

    ReplyDelete
  2. pls update ur blog.....
    ..

    ..
    ..

    ReplyDelete